Second collection of instrumentals from UK guitarist Ben Sutton featuring a mixture of smooth jazz, funk and blues influences (released Nov 2013)
"This album marks a departure from my mainly guitar based work, with some tracks featuring no guitar at all! Don't worry, if you enjoyed the previous album (String Theory) you'll still find plenty of melodic guitar licks!"
About the tracks...
- In a Silent Place
- Soundtrack to Itopia (Part 1)
- After Midnight
- Don't Say Goodbye
- Hoo Yah!
- Joe's Town
- The Kid
- Hoo Yah! This track gets its name from the main keyboard part - it's just an easy way to remember it! It bounces along, alternating with a nice R&B groove
- After Midnight This one starts with a main riff that could be accused of being pure rock, but then a horn section appears which takes me back to my 80's funk tracks. This track is a tale of two halves, stick with it for the outro, which could be a different song, and where some melodic guitar lines weave about a R&B groove.
- Don't Say Goodbye Here's a slow tempo, atmospheric piece. I was aiming for an early Larry Carlton lead guitar feel here. I was just finding my feet with the keyboards at time of recording and I put a keyboard solo that sounds uncannily like Stevie Wonder harmonica!
- In A Silent Place No guitar at all on this one (or drums). It's name gives the strongest hint of it's infuences. If you're familiar with the Miles Davis classic album 'In a Silent Way' you'll recognise where it's coming from.
- Joe's Town A tribute to the late, great Joe Zawinul Weater Report founder and ex Miles Davis sideman (who incidentally wrote In A Silent Way).
- Rainforest This one's an 'interlude' track with no drums.
- Schooldays This one is an escapee from the String Theory album so has that acoustic guitar sound. Nothing at all to do with the Stanley Clarke track of the same name
- Soundtrack to Iptopia (Part 1) Another interlude track, no guitar or drums on this either.
- Weathered Report A 'bonus' track. The result of an enjoyable afternoons session with Rick C in his Welsh studios. All done in one take and needing tidying so no download available.
- EBYT Yes, a non original track. Can you guess the song?
- The Kid Here's an interesting blend of Jazz groove with electronica
Like most of my music on this website I write all the material, play all the instruments, and produce/arrange.